Friday, December 19, 2014

Gift for Big Boy


Every year it seems the days in December have less hours then the days in any other month. Don’t you agree? So much to do and somehow it all has to be done this month. Including special celebrations and occasions at school or work. And then there are the holidays! So not much time for needles and yarn, but I still have to show you the present I made for my husband.

006

He had  been asking for a bag like this for years. This kind of fabric, a sturdy bag with enough pockets and matching the size of his laptop. There were 2 problems with this list of demands. First the fabric. You can find a lot of fabric with this logo, but then the stripes are printed onto the fabric and he didn’t like that. They had to be woven into it. But finally this summer I found this fabric. Problem #1 solved. Then the sturdiness. My husband actually wanted the bag to be able to stand on its own when empty. I didn’t have a clue. Then I saw a piece of not too thick, but very sturdy felt. That was the solution. I made a bag with pockets on  both sides, a piping around and lots of zippers and clips.

008

Then I made a lining, also with a few pockets.

001 002

The lining was made half an inch smaller than the outer bag. I cut pieces from the felt which fitted exactly between the piping, and hand sewed them with a few stitches to keep them in place. Then finally the lining was put in and I sewed it by hand.

004

What I really love about this bag is of course first of all that it matches all of my husbands wishes, but also the way it turned out. The look of the piping and the brass coloured zippers and closures, give it a robust look.

013

This was the last gift I made this year for the December month. And I think this is probably the last post on this little blog of mine this year. So I wish you all a very Merry Christmas, a wonderful New Year, and I hope to see you again sometime next year.

Groetjes, Dorien

5 comments:

Maxine D said...

Dorien this bag is wonderful - you are a real craftswoman with the sewing you do. I am in awe of your talent.
Christmas blessings to you and yours
Maxine

Hawthorn Spellweaver said...

This is amazing - I am impressed! Hope you and your family have a lovely festive time x

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Dorien! You make always Special bags and this is again fantastic! Great details and Fabrics! I wish you wonderful Christmas time! x Teje

Monique Koomans said...

Wauw, wat een prachtige tas! Zulke mooie details, en een robuuste uitstraling. Ik heb deze stof ook, heb er een organizer voor mijn zoontje van gemaakt. Hij heeft al jaren zijn eigen "postkantoor", en vindt dit helemaal geweldig.
Ook voor jullie fijne feestdagen, geniet ervan, en van de vrije dagen.
Groetjes Monique

Macy Sevilla said...

Hi! Visit my blog there you can find a present for you....
http://30ypunto.blogspot.com.es/2015/01/tag-sugerencias.html

I love your blog. It is a inspiration for me.