Monday, June 11, 2012

Making ribbon


Sometimes I just don’t know what to do next. No orders, no ideas. That happened to me last week. What I do in at a moment like that, is that I just start with looking at my fabrics and pick one. Just any fabric. Because of the European Championships for Football, everything is coloured orange these days, so I picked an orange fabric. Quite sturdy. Now what to make with it was the next question. And if you have read this blog before, I think you can guess what I started working on: indeed, another bag. I collected some matching fabrics, and started with embroidering a gorgeous design on it in fall colours and motifs.

I used the same pattern for the bag as I almost every time do, and started putting together the panels.

015

But then for the back I came across a little problem. I always sew a ribbon on the seam where the front of the bag is attached to the back. But I couldn’t find a matching ribbon. Not in my stash and not in the local store. So what to do?

Why not make my own ‘ribbon’?

I picked out a design which I could repeat to make a long ribbon-like piece.

Folding the seams gave me exactly what I wanted:

016

022

I hope to finish the bag soon, but in contrast to last week, now suddenly there is just too much to do. I’ve received 3 orders, so this next week I won’t get bored.

Groetjes, Dorien

8 comments:

Teje said...

Hi Dorien! That is a beautiful bag - or will be! You mix so well different materials and to make your own ribbon was brilliant idea! Have a great week! x Teje

Sue said...

such a beautiful bag, isn't it fun when inspiration just happens!

Corina said...

Oh dat ziet er gaaf uit zeg, super!

Monique said...

Dat borduren vind ik prachtig. En dat allemaal op de naaimachine. Dat moet een super machine zijn!

Groetjes, Monique

Murakamari said...

Your ribbon look great!

Jantine said...

Wat een prachtig lint heb je zelf gemaakt! De tas is een plaatje...

Madeleine said...

Sooo beautiful work! I wish I was that good at embroidery! :D

Wendy said...

Your embroidery is beautiful! It would take me years to do a design like that!