Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Swapping Scarves

Hello, how nice of you to stop by. Today I want to show you a couple of scarves, which I have made for two swaps. The first one is a Saroyan (pattern at Ravelry), which I made for Elsje. She is my swap partner for a whole year, and this was the handmade item for the first swap.

005

I made it with Drops Delight, in a green-beige colour.

The leaves are just so beautiful. It was not a very difficult pattern, and the scarf is very soft and warm.

The other scarf I made was for a scarf swap. A while ago I got a pile of old knitting magazines from my mother. The bulk of it wasn’t really useful anymore. But in one of them I found this picture for a man’s sweater.

005

(Told you it was old!!)

I immediately liked the honeycomb pattern, and decided to use it for this scarf. The reciever is very fond of blue, so that was easy. Then I came up with the idea to knit the scarf in the round, casting on enough stitches for the whole length of the scarf. I added 2 x 20 stitches for the fringe and started knitting. The stitches for the fringe were knitted in stockinette stitch, the rest in pattern. This way the stripes were lengthwise.

After binding of the pattern stitches, the scarf was cut open (in the middle of the stockinette stitches), and carefully I unravelled the fringe.

004

The threads were knotted together, and the scarf was blocked.

1013

 

1004

This scarf was made in Drops Alpaca.

Groetjes, Dorien

6 comments:

Teje said...

Hello Dorien! Vow - I don't know word to describe - both of them are so beautiful and for the blue you really found a new creative way to do it! Watching that old photo Gregory Peck came to my mind - I love those old movies!
Thank you for your always sweet messages! xxx Teje

Handmade by Mai said...

Mooie sjaals heb je gemaakt. Eigenlijk wordt het nu te warm voor sjaals, maar ze zijn zo leuk om te maken.

VangeKnitter said...

They're both so beautiful. Oh, Linda got her scarf back last night! :P

Naturally Carol said...

Both scarves are so creative, you are an absolute artist with wool! The recipients have been so blessed to get these.

Karen said...

Wow, they are both gorgeous. I think the l green with leaf pattern is so elegant. What a lucky partner you have!

pattas said...

The pattern of the scarf is so delicate and soft looking very pretty.
the second pattern looks great and will turn a few heads :))