Friday, January 28, 2011

A goat and some sunflowers

This week has gone by so fast, that it is already five days since my last post. Thank you ladies for your nice comments on the little gift bag. (Jantine: I didn’t line it with fabric, but that is a great idea!)

The project with the pink flowers is finished, and I did try to make some pictures this morning. But I have to do that outside, and it is so cold, that my fingers couldn’t press the button of the camera, and with gloves on it just doesn’t work. So, that will come later.

Last year, I attended a workshop by McKenna Ryan. If you don’t know her work, go and have a look at her website. She really knows how to paint with fabric.
At the workshop I learnt a new technique for applique. It is a great technique to make ‘art-quilts’, for items you are using it is not so suited.

I liked it so much, that I bought another of her patterns, and it has been on the shelves since then. Until this week.

I started with cutting all the parts,

IMG_1279

And then fusethem together by ironing

IMG_1286
This is possible because before cutting out the parts, there is fusible web ironed on the fabric. Then after removing the paper, you can iron the parts on to each other, using an ‘Applique Pressing Sheet’. This way you can remove the whole thing, the flower or the head, or any design.

After doing so, you can place all the parts on to the background fabric, arrange them, and then fuse the whole design.
Now all you have to do is baste, quilt and bind the quilt.

IMG_1317
IMG_1311
IMG_1319

Groetjes, Dorien

9 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

Ha!Ha!...that goat eating the sunflowers is amazing...a surprise, I never guessed it was going to be a goat!

Simone de Klerk said...

Wat mooi! Je hebt de perfecte achtergrond gebruikt voor het geheel.
Fijn weekeinde!

Teje said...

Hello Dorien! Ooohh that is so wonderful! I love the colours and also the happy and fun theme!
Sunny wishes! Teje

anneke said...

wat een leuke quilt is dit geworden! knap dat je het zo voor elkaar gekregen hebt.

fijn weekend

Corina said...

Wow, dat is leuk zeg! Kunstig hoor, zo'n sprekende geitekop, en die kleuren zo mooi... super!

Charlotte said...

Too Cute!

Poppy Cottage said...

Having owned a goat and grown Sunflowers (or tried!!) this really made me smail. It looks lovely.

Colette

Makkie said...

Wat heb je dit mooi gemaakt! Die geit joh, zo levensecht!
Hartelijks,
Makkie

Clara said...

I've seen this method before too and it is gorgeous. Love your goat and sunflowers.