This week has gone by so fast, that it is already five days since my last post. Thank you ladies for your nice comments on the little gift bag. (Jantine: I didn’t line it with fabric, but that is a great idea!)
The project with the pink flowers is finished, and I did try to make some pictures this morning. But I have to do that outside, and it is so cold, that my fingers couldn’t press the button of the camera, and with gloves on it just doesn’t work. So, that will come later.
Last year, I attended a workshop by McKenna Ryan. If you don’t know her work, go and have a look at her website. She really knows how to paint with fabric.
At the workshop I learnt a new technique for applique. It is a great technique to make ‘art-quilts’, for items you are using it is not so suited.
I liked it so much, that I bought another of her patterns, and it has been on the shelves since then. Until this week.
I started with cutting all the parts,
And then fusethem together by ironing
This is possible because before cutting out the parts, there is fusible web ironed on the fabric. Then after removing the paper, you can iron the parts on to each other, using an ‘Applique Pressing Sheet’. This way you can remove the whole thing, the flower or the head, or any design.
After doing so, you can place all the parts on to the background fabric, arrange them, and then fuse the whole design.
Now all you have to do is baste, quilt and bind the quilt.