Monday, December 27, 2010

A beautiful week

Hi everyone, I know it has been such a long time since my last post. I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas. We just stayed at home with the four of us, didn’t do anything special. A lovely two days with each other.

One of the best things this week is the Dutch radio. Every year, starting on Christmas day, they broadcast the best 2000 songs ever. So this week, nobody argues about what station to put on, in the whole house, everyone is listening to the same music, singing along.

Last week I finished the quilt I talked about in my last post.

Picture d4

So now ‘all I have to do’ is make a sandwich and quilt it. For the back I ordered fabric from an online store, so I will have to wait a bit before it gets here.
It’s the first time I ever did that, but the difference in costs was so huge, I thought I might give it a try. This gives me a bit of a strange feeling though, because one of the reasons fabric is so expensive over here, is that there just aren’t enough customers for it. So shops have to make choices in what they have in their collection, and even then the costs for them are huge. By buying overseas, I am not buying at their shop, so that makes again a customer less. If everyone does it like that, at the end, there will be no stores left. I will try to shop local as much as I can, but a price-difference of more than 100% is just too much. Sorry.

Something else I have been busy with is writing the pattern for the skirt-guards for bicycles. So I did write it all down, and now I’m testing it.

Picture 051

Different colours this time, but I like them as much as the first one. I guess it will all be ready in the first week of January. Most likely I will open a shop at Etsy, where the pattern can be bought.

Then, I’ve started a Knit-A-Long (KAL) over at Ravelry, and this time it is a kind off pattern I never used before; knitting with beads (Mystery 220). So I have just strung about 650 beads to my yarn.

Picture 006

 

Picture 004

Now I have to go and knit with it. Never done that before, and because it is a ‘mystery-KAL’, I don’t have a clue what it is going to be. This is scaring and exciting at the same time.

Groetjes, Dorien

9 comments:

Linda said...

Mooie quilt!
En ik ben heel nieuwsgierig naar de KAL. Waar op Ravelry is die te vinden?

Hazel said...

Wow! The quilt is beautiful. Love your crochet too. x

Erin said...

Your quilt is lovely. I have no idea how you are going to knit with those beads on there as I cannot knit without beads :P. I cannot wait to see what is made.

Clara said...

I LOVE the skirt guards!

Teje said...

Hello Dorien! Your quilt is going to be fantastic! Here it's the same with materials...or even worse...Hope you have lovely week!
xxx Teje

Madeleine said...

Gorgeous! I'll be waiting for that pattern :)
And the quilt is stunning!

Simone de Klerk said...

Je quilt is echt heel mooi geworden! Die kleuren en motieven ...
Ook je nieuwe haak kunstwerk ziet er fleurig uit!
Heel spannend, wat je met de kralen op garen gaat doen. Ik ben heel benieuwd!
Wens ik je nog een heel goed uiteinde en de beste wensen voor 2011!!!

Jantine said...

Spannend, ik ben heel benieuwd!

Simone de Klerk said...

In 2010 bezocht ik je blog al. Wat leuk (o:
Ja,en ik vind de quilt nog steeds heel mooi.
Er begint eerdaags een New York Beauty QAL. Ik moet mezelf beheersen er niet aan mee te doen!